Will My Social Security Benefits Be Taxed?

If you file as a single individual and your yearly income exceeds $25,000, you will have to pay federal taxes on a percentage of your Social Security benefits. If you file jointly with your spouse, you will have to pay federal taxes if your combined income exceeds $32,000 yearly. Generally, states and local governments do not withhold taxes from Social Security benefits. For information on your specific benefits, a notice on the back of your Social Security benefit statement entitled IRS Notice 703 will help you determine if you will have to pay taxes on your benefits.

Back to FAQs