SSI And Military Dependents

Supplemental security income (SSI) benefits are typically granted to individuals who reside only within the United States. Individuals who leave the U.S. for more than 30 days are often considered ineligible for benefits, but children who are the dependents of military personnel may be exempt from this rule.

Since military personnel often are not able to choose the location of their station, dependents who qualify for SSI benefits may be eligible for continued compensation if they are U.S. citizens and are living with a parent who is assigned to permanent overseas duty. If you have any questions regarding SSI benefits and dependents, contact the Indianapolis social security disability lawyers of the Hankey Law Office at 317-634-8565.


SSI eligible dependents must often show proof of the parent’s overseas assignment. Common requirements often include:

  • Documents showing proof that the legal guardian is on permanent assignment out of the United States
  • Military orders showing the reporting date for the out-of-country assignment
  • Updated mailing address
  • Disclosure of any allowances provided by the new duty

As with all Social Security applications, it is important for individuals to be forthcoming about all the details of their situation. Any allowances or changes in situation should be immediately reported to the Social Security Administration. It is wise to consult an experienced Social Security attorney if you have any questions regarding the application or appeals process.

Contact an Indianapolis Social Security Lawyer

For more information regarding Supplemental Security Income and military dependents, contact the Indianapolis social security attorneys of the Hankey Law Office at 317-634-8565 to discuss your legal options.