Social Security Disability Insurance Statistics

Filing for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is not a simple process. In fact, it can be a very long and drawn out one. Because of this, many people do not receive the benefits that they need from SSDI. It is highly unfortunate, but only around half of all applicants receive their benefits in the end.

In the first stage of the application process, you submit your initial application for benefits. This is supposed to take 90 to 120 days to complete. However, it can take as long as eight months in some cases. In this stage of the process, only 36% of all applicants are approved. That leaves 64% who do not receive benefits after the initial application.

Only around 34% of the people denied benefits appeal to the reconsideration process. In this stage, only around 14% of applicants receive benefits. This stage can also take 90 to 120 days. It is important to remember, however, that the 14% of people who receive benefits in this stage actually works out to around 3% of the initial total applicants.

If you are denied again, you go to a hearing. In these hearings, approximately 63% of applicants are granted benefits. This works out to about 12% of the initial total, and the process can take a very long time. In 2006, the average amount of time spent in this stage was 483 days.

If you are still denied at the hearing, you can take your case to an appeals court. Here, around 33% of appellants gain benefits. Of the people who submitted their initial application, however, this works out to a mere 1%.

Contact Us

In any stage of filing for Social Security disability benefits, it is very helpful to have an experienced attorney working with you. Professional legal assistance can greatly increase your chances of being approved and getting your benefits earlier. If you or someone you know is applying for SSDI, contact the Indianapolis social security disability attorney of the Hankey Law Office at 317-634-8565.