How to Pay for College on Social Security Pay

If you have a family, getting hurt on the job can be disastrous. While the Federal Government has tried to provide injured workers with a way to get back on their feet, as well as provide help to support their families, in reality, the money that they receive is not enough to live the lives they used to. One of the sad consequences of this is that many children of injured workers lose out on their dreams—like going to college.

However, there are many ways in which parents can help their children go to college, even when there is not a lot of money coming in. Here are a few ways to help make your child’s dreams a reality:

  • Scholarships: Every year there is always money from scholarship funds that go unclaimed. While this is a tragedy, this can benefit your child if they apply for everything out there. There are many scholarships specifically designed for the children of disabled workers.
  • Untraditional Degrees/Programs: There are many programs that are less expensive, shorter, and can be achieved by taking night classes. If you don’t have enough money for four years of college, try a shorter program. If your child will need to work to support him or herself, try night school.
  • Loans: If nothing else, student loans are low interest rate loans that do not need to be paid back until after your child gets out of college.

Contact an Indianapolis Social Security Lawyer

If you or a loved one has been injured in a work related accident, contact the Indianapolis social security lawyers of the Hankey Law Office. Call us at (800) 520-3633 to discuss your case. We can help you get the legal advice and representation you need.