Applying for SSDI with Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a long term condition characterized by pain throughout the body, as well as tender joints, muscles, and tendons. There is no cure for this condition, but there are many methods of treatment aimed at reducing the symptoms of pain as well as related problems such as sleep problems, headaches, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. The presence of pain and tenderness can make it difficult for many people to work, and some are unable to maintain any kind of work at all.
If you or someone you love has fibromyalgia and is unable to work, the Indianapolis Social Security disability attorneys of the Hankey Law Office can help. Our firm has decades of experience helping individuals suffering from fibromyalgia get the disability benefits they need. Contact our offices today at (800) 520-3633.
Application Process for Social Security Disability Benefits
Individuals with fibromyalgia hoping to get approval for Social Security benefits will have to go through a review by the office of Social Security. The following is a summary of the steps the officials will take to determine whether a person qualifies:
- Determine whether a person is working and earning at least $1,010 a month.
- Determine whether the condition is severe enough to prevent or significantly restrict the person’s ability to do work related tasks.
- As there is no specific listing for fibromyalgia in the SSD listings, the official will see if the symptoms can be equated to a listing that exists. This will include an examination of the level of pain and fatigue present. The symptoms must be equitable to the symptoms of another disability.
- Find out if a person can perform work they have done in the past.
- Review work experience, education, and mental/physical condition to find out if there is any work which the person may be able to perform.
When a person goes through this process and it is determined that they are unable to perform the necessary work to make a living wage, disability benefits are granted.
Applying for Social Security disability benefits can be a confusing process with many potential missteps along the way. An experienced disability attorney can help guide you through this process and help you avoid the pitfalls. Contact the Indianapolis Social Security disability benefits attorneys of the Hankey Law Office today at (800) 520-3633 to speak with someone who can help you get the benefits you need.